Travel needs in the King of Prussia area are growing. An extension of the Norristown High Speed Line (NHSL) would support evolving needs and serve the increased demand generated by existing and future economic development opportunities. Some of those needs can be linked to the following travel statistics:
• 57,100 jobs in Upper Merion in 2010; 62,100 jobs projected
• 12,500 jobs at the King of Prussia Mall and its vicinity,
& 19,000 jobs in office parks.
• 25 million visits/year to King of Prussia Mall
• 1.7 million visits/year to Valley Forge National
• 4,000 (and growing) average weekday ridership
using bus service to/from the King of Prussia Mall.
As identified in the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission’s (DVRPC) regional land use and transportation plan Connections 2040, the King of Prussia Rail Project is one of several major regional transit system expansion projects planned for the region. The goal for this project will be to promote and strengthen regional growth, connect people to opportunities, and support evolving needs by connecting the three largest employments centers in the Philadelphia region.